Equitable Distribution Lawyers in Hackensack, NJ
Navigating Complex Divorce Issues in Bergen County
Equitable distribution in New Jersey can be confusing, and if you don’t have the right counsel, the final judgement may not be in your best interests. Rely on our Hackensack family lawyers to guide you through the process and advocate for you in court.
What Is Equitable Distribution?
In New Jersey, assets in a divorce are dividing according to what the court deems “fair.” Contrary to what its name may imply, equitable distribution is not necessarily “equal” in terms of who gets what.
Some of the assets subject to equitable distribution laws include the marital home, vacation properties or timeshares, retirement and investment accounts, bank accounts, life insurance policies or proceeds, cars, vehicles, and other personal property.
In order to arrive at equitable distribution, the court will take into account the following factors:
- The length of the marriage
- The age and physical health of each party
- What each party brought into the marriage
- The standard of living during the marriage
- Any agreements written before or during the marriage
- The economic circumstances of each spouse
- The income and earning capacity of each spouse
- Any contribution to the training, education, or earning power one party made to the other
- The current value of the property
- Any tax consequences of the distribution
- Whether the custodial parent needs to remain in the marital home
- The debts of each spouse
- Whether one party deferred career goals
- Anything else the court feels is relevant
Call Laterra & Hodge, LLC for a Free Consultation
If you’re going through a divorce and are facing an equitable distribution hearing in court, you should call our offices and set up an appointment with one of our Hackensack family lawyers. Our attorneys have over 25 years of combined experience and solely practice in family law to ensure that you are getting the focused and compassionate representation your case deserves.
Call (201) 580-2240 now to schedule your free consultation.